No added hormones, steroids or antibiotics.
Grass forage fed while on the ranches & finished on a high rouphage diet of a mixture of our own grass & non-gmo corn silage, along with limited amounts of high quality grain.
We believe in humane animal management and animal welfare is a top priority.
The animals are born on one of three ranches, which we visit on a regular basis, and spend the first half of their lives roaming the land.
130 Mile Ranch in 130 Mile, BC
Kane Lake Ranch in Lumby, BC
Big Smokey Ranch in Merrit, BC.
They then spend the next half on our farm, right next door to the store where we have full quality control.
Quality & Taste
We use the traditional method of aging our AAA Grade beef by hanging it on the rail and dry-aging it for 28 day, as opposed to more common wet-aging in cryovac bags.
Dry-aging allows the natural enzymes to slowly tenderize the meat and evaporate the moisture to create a more concentrated and enhanced depth of flavour. For this reason, we do not need to needle our beef.
We are a full custom butcher shop that handle the entire animal.
We also have fully trained butchers who specialize in the breaking down and cutting of complete animal carcasses. For these reasons, we able to offer our customers a vast array of beef cuts.
Our chicken comes from high quality birds grown by local poultry farmers within the Fraser Valley. Our birds are free run and are raised on a wheat based diet. Free run means the birds are given the freedom to wander around an enclosed barn.
Our chicken is raised without added growth hormones, as per Canadian regulations. They are HACCP certified.
Our turkeys come from the renowned JD Farms. The birds are fed a natural diet of grain, vitamins and minerals and are free of antibiotics and animal by-products.
JD Farms raises their turkeys in spacious, well-ventilated barns with free access to fresh water and a constant supply of fresh feed. Special care and diet bring out only the highest quality and exceptional flavor.
*Please note that fresh turkeys are only available at Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Pre-ordering is advised.
- Raised without hormones, as per Canadian regulation, and are grain fed a tasty blend of wheat, barley and corn. Their primary protein sources include canola and soybean meal.
- Locally sourced
- From 6 or 7 farm families, if not Fraser Valley, then within B.C.
- Ethically Raised
- Johnston’s visits each farm on a regular basis for inspection
- Farms have toys in the pens
- Small farms with 150 to 400 hogs going out per week
- Compared to large operations with closer to 2,000 hogs out each week
- Kept inside well ventilated & lit, clean barns
- Pigs don’t have sweat glands so can’t regulate our B.C. outdoor temperatures
- Can’t defend against predators
- Kept inside for disease prevention. Disease can travel up to 5km on the wind
- Not mass medicated. Only treated with Antibiotics. Always antibiotic free at time of slaughter
- On average, in 1 year, about 1% of the animals need to be treated
- Low stress
- Short travel distance between farms and plant
- Hogs are kept within their same group
- Upon arrival, they’re misted and allowed to play
Side note – Johnston’s had Temple Grandin tour and grade their plant. Result was an A+, along with the observation that Johnston’s really cares about the welfare of their animals. Temple Grandin is a world-renowned professor of animal science and spokesperson and consultant to the livestock industry on animal behavior. She is also the subject of the award-winning biographical film, Temple Grandin.